Friday, November 9, 2012

Day 33: Houston and Friends



We arrived in Houston in good time and showed up on my friends doorstep at 10pm.  That sounds late, but it is the earliest that we have arrived at anyone’s house so far. As soon as they opened the door I was struck with a wave of nostalgia and glee… I forgot how much I MISSED these people! I met Os car and Miriam on my mission in the Texas Houston South mission, my companion (Annie) and I (She’s now my best friend and our next stop on our adventure), had the honor of teaching them lessons about the Mormon church before they were married, and baptized. The last time we saw them was at their sealing in the Temple, where they were seal together for forever (not just till death do you part). It was elating to find that not only do they still go to church,  but he is the Stake executive secretary, and she the primary president in their ward.  Talk about power couple!!
They were GREAT hosts, and we had a ball getting to know them better, Jon immediately fit right in and felt at home because their sense of humor was similar to his family. Their kids warmed up to us, and we made a strong bond with the youngest Nick. I can’t  explain how neat it was to continue my friendship with them and to extend it to my husband. We will be lifelong friends and we can’t wait until they come visit us in Hawaii!!
On Sunday we went to church in one of the wards that I served in the most on my mission. It happened to be the first Sunday of the month, which meant that for the main worship service anyone can get up to the pulpit and express their testimony and feelings of their heart.  As I was sitting in this church meeting I felt my heart pounding and was moved to get up in front of everybody and express my love of them and my Savior. The feeling came so strong, that although I have not spoken Spanish in 5+ years I found myself walking up to the front, praying all the way that they would understand my broken Spanish, or I could magically connect the words that were in my brain to my tongue. Once I was in front of everyone, my brain did not function at all, and I am not sure what I said; I don’t think they knew what I said either! Bummer. I was shocked though, that so many people remembered me! Everyone who came up to say hi also expressed their dismay in me forgetting my Spanish.  I was happy that I found the courage to get up there though, and I was happy that I got to reconnect with so many people who I loved so much and have not seen in years. Since Jon is a brown boy, everybody was equally shocked when he did not speak Spanish either. A few people said that he looks Argentinean… so we made a goal to come back here in a few years and to be fluent. That would shock them for sure.
Oscar made us some carne asada for dinner in the evening, and Jon laid the foundation for a great friendship with Nick their 3-year-old by playing with cars for HOURS. At bedtime he offered to read nick a story and he came out with Clifford the Big Red Dog. Despite it being in Spanish, Jon did pretty dang good!


1 comment:

  1. We also we felt the same way, we really enjoyed your company, and we were so happy to finally meet John. You guys are so neat and fun, and are filled with so much energy. You were such an example in our lives while you were serving here on your mission, you taught us so much and made a difference in our lives. For that we will always be grateful, we love you tons, and can't wait to see you again. Oh, and Nick fell in love with John and Blue Bell. He still asks for John.

    ReplyDelete